JOB TITLE: Editor, The Independent Artist (contracted position)
DATE: November, 2011
TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Communications Committee Chairman
Under limited supervision, is responsible for the gathering of content and layout for the biannual issue of The Independent Artist -- newspaper produced by the National Association of Independent Artists (NAIA).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Ability to work within a set production schedule and produce a quality issue
- Monitor artist forums, and work with committee and staff to develop potential topics for upcoming issues.
- Solicit articles and photographs from artists, show directors, industry specialists, NAIA board members.
- Write additional material as needed
-Typeset articles using established publication template.
-Receive and typeset ads; work with advertisers to reformat or help design ads as needed.
- Work with advertising sales manager to track ad sales for publication
- Edit text and layout; review proofs
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS NEEDED;
-Proficiency with Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Word, and Adobe Photoshop
- Interview skills necessary
- Ability to edit in a manner to allow fair and balanced information to be disbursed to readers
- Ability to work independently
- Language skills: proven written and oral communications skills necessary
- Knowledge of the Art Fair Industry and trends
-Ability to work with national organization located in various parts of the country
-Must be highly organized
-Ability to work with artists and directors to understand current issues and needs
-Ability to think abstractly and display a high level of initiative concerning editorial needs of a successful publication.
-Represents the NAIA positively, professionally, courteously, and effectively
-Shows sensitivity and respect for the cultural and ethnic diversity of members, staff and other community members and groups
-Adheres to NAIA Code of Ethics at all times.
The description given is intended only to provide information about the general nature pf the job and is not an all-inclusive list of job duties, skills or abilities.