The purpose of the project is to give professional working artists an opportunity to gain exposure to a larger audience and to enhance the City’s public art program. Aesthetically pleasing, imaginative art that is site specific and relatable to the community is sought. The winning design must make a strong visual statement and be inviting and intriguing without being imposing. This mural/artwork will be a focal point and identifying marker for the City, specifically the downtown area. Artists or artist collectives are encouraged to submit.
- Approximately 1595 square feet, measuring 17’ x 94’ (estimate)
- Wall material is painted brick.
- Window and door must remain functional for the occupants.
- Wall is located in downtown Westfield on the southwest corner of Union St and Main St (SR 32).
- Artists will be chosen based upon the quality and professional presentation of their work
- Artists from Indiana will be given a priority
- Artists should be at least 18 years of age
- Priority will be given to artists showing some track record of showing their work professionally.
- Artists will be required to attend the installation and unveiling of the artwork.
- Artists must prepare their work for installation:
- Work will be displayed outside and must be weather proof
- Work must be removable from the building
- Work may not exceed a depth of 12 inches from the face of the wall
- Artists are responsible for insuring their work en route and during the installation.
- Artwork will be insured by the City post installation.
- Mural/artwork will become the property of the City.
- The City of Westfield will be responsible for the promotion of the installation via its web site, press release, and City Facebook page.
- The total budget for this project is ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00).
- Submission Deadline: 12:00 p.m., November 24, 2010
- GJTG review: November 29, 2010 to January 1, 2011
- Selection Announcement: the week of January 3, 2011
- Finalize renderings and sketches with GJTG: February 28, 2011
- Install Mural/Artwork: June 1, 2011 to June 30, 2011
- Unveiling: July 4, 2011 during the Westfield Rocks the 4th celebration
After reviewing the guidelines, please submit the following electronically:
- Artist Statement
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Photographs of previous work (no older than five years)
- Three letters of recommendation
- One page description of your proposal
Deadline for submission is November 24, 2010. Please send submittal with all requested information to one of the two contacts below:
Mic Mead Jennifer Miller
The Grand Junction Task Group and the City of Westfield reserve the right to amend these guidelines when necessary. Please check with contacts listed above for most current information.