Thursday, September 17, 2009
Community Hospital South Seeks Indiana Artists
Submission Deadline: Monday, October 12, 2009
Installation Date: June 2010
Community Hospital South
1402 E County Line Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46227-0963
The Community Health Network Foundation (CHNF) and Community Hospital South have partnered with the Arts Council of Indianapolis once again to acquire artwork in an effort to build a meaningful permanent collection for its south campus currently under construction. In 2006, the CHNF purchased artwork from more than 50 Indiana artists for the newly designed Community Hospital North. With such success at the North campus, the foundation now desires to create a similar environment at the South campus. The original artwork will be displayed in the waiting areas, main lobby, major corridors and other public spaces within the hospital.
Eligibility: All professional visual artists living in Indiana are encouraged to submit proposed images. Please note that artists living in or having a connection to Greenwood or the south side of Indianapolis are especially encouraged to submit. Artists that live in the central Indiana region are also encouraged to join the Arts Council of Indianapolis’ on-line artist database (click [here] to join) prior to submitting their proposed images. If you are already included in the indyarts artist database, make sure your images and information are updated before you submit to this call. You can double check by clicking [here].
Selection Criteria: Artwork should fit naturally into a contemporary setting. Abstract and non-objective works are preferred, but more naturalistic works will be considered. The artwork should reflect and embrace the hospital’s commitment to a healing environment for patients, visitors and staff. Specifically, the committee is looking for works that create a colorful, energetic, interesting, yet peaceful and soothing environment. Works that include human figures or extensive use of the color red will not be considered. To view works selected under the same criteria from the North campus click [here].
Artwork Sought: two-dimensional, three-dimensional and reproductions.
• The project requires 32 pieces of original two-dimensional artwork (or wall art). The committee is open to all media including, but not limited to painting, printmaking, textiles, mixed media, etc.
• The project requires two small interior three-dimensional sculptures to be placed in the Dining Room. The committee is open to all media including, but not limited to metals, ceramics, stone, etc.
• The project requires one large three dimensional mobile to be hung in the Emergency Department entry vestibule. The committee is open to all media appropriate for a suspended structure. Artists submitting for the mobile are asked to submit examples of past work for qualification purposes only. Artist should not submit a specific proposal until they are contacted by the committee. Architectural and structural schematics will be available to artists who are invited to meet with the committee to discuss their proposals.
• The project requires one exterior three-dimensional sculpture to be placed in a rooftop garden space. The sculpture will be viewed from multiple angles and views. The committee is open to any medium that is durable and can withstand the elements.
• In addition, the project requires 52 Giclée prints and/or photography. The committee is seeking artists who are willing to reproduce their work as quality Giclée prints. All interested artists should contact Brandi Cassis at Editions Limited at email@example.com or call 317-466-9940. Note: If you are submitting for the Giclée/photography portion of the project only, you do not need to submit images through this call, simply contact Brandi Cassis for instructions.
• Deadline for submissions: Monday, October 12. All submissions must be received via postal mail or hand delivered to the Arts Council office at 20 N. Meridian St., Ste, 500, Indianapolis, IN 46204.
• Preliminary selections will be made by late October 2009.
• Selected artists will be contacted by early November 2009.
• Selected artists may be asked to present to the committee in person during the weeks of November 6 and November 16, 2009.
• All artwork will be installed in June 2010.
• Two-dimensional artwork submitted should be priced at a maximum of $2,000 per piece.
• Interior sculptures should be priced at a maximum of $2,000 per piece.
• Emergency Department mobile should be within a price range of $8,000 - $10,000.
• Exterior sculpture should be within the price range of $10,000 - $15,000.
Selection Committee: Artwork will be chosen by the hospital selection committee which includes hospital administration staff, CHNF staff and interior designers and architects from the project architectural firm with the assistance of an Arts Council project manager.
Guidelines for Submission:
• Artists may submit up to ten images on a CD.
• Images should be professional quality, jpeg files, 72dpi and no larger than 800 pixels in any direction. If high resolution images are needed, those artists will be contacted individually.
• Each submission must include a slide list including title, date, medium, dimensions, price and availability. (Note if each work is available for purchase or an example of past work as the committee may seek to commission a site-specific piece based upon previous work.)
• All work submitted must have been created within the past three years.
• All submissions must include an artist resume or CV.
• All submissions must include an artist statement.
• All submissions must include contact information for the artist and/or appropriate gallery representative including daytime phone, e-mail address and web site if available.
Submit all materials to:
Arts Council of Indianapolis
Community Hospital South Project
20 N. Meridian St., Ste. 500
Indianapolis, IN 46204
For more information about the overall project or original artwork acquisitions, please contact Shannon Linker, Director of Artist Services for the Arts Council of Indianapolis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-631-3301.
For more information about publishing requirements and timeline for reproductions, please contact Brandi Cassis with Editions Limited at email@example.com or call 317-466-9940.